Monday, October 31, 2011

BookSale

booksaleI am simply grateful this “thrift” bookstore exists in our place. You do not have to buy expensive books just to keep up with the hobby. My husband and I value reading… Both of us are bookworms (I hate that term) or “book lover/s”. In fact, I’m a bibliophile.

 

*Me The Bibliophile*

Since High School, I started collecting books from Sweet Dreams to Sweet Valley High. Then, I began collecting the works of Sheldon, Demille, Grisham, Ludlum, Roberts, Lindsay, Steel, Sparks, and others. I saved a lot to buy those books. Some were gifts during birthdays. But then, those books were devoured by termites. How did it happen? We left for Manila last 2008, stayed their for 6 months. Obviously, all our stuffs were left in the house we rented. Upon our returned, I saw my collection was destroyed by the termites already.

Today… I have shifted from novels to inspirational books. I have the books written by Joyce Meyers, Joel Osteen, Charles Swindoll, John Ortberg, Henry Blackaby, Elizabeth Moore, Tom Holliday, Rick Warren, and a lot more.

*Flashback*

I started reading thick novels when I was 11. But I could remember loaning books from my aunt who literally had a library in her house since grade 1. I could still recall that the books during those days had hardcovers like real wood. Most of it were published in the USA… no wonder, I knew about Lincoln and the cabin… I knew about the legend of the Washington Apples, most of the fairytales and myths. I grew up with Greek myths and Norse myths. I met Odysseus, Loki, Thor, Vikings, mermaids, Cyclops when I was in grade 2. Also, I could remember I was a fast reader in Grade 1… I found the name “Mayette” when I was in Grade 2, and I named my sister after that baby in the story. I was just “in love” with the character.

My husband told me he was reading Hardy Boys too ( I read that when I was 11 including Nancy Drew) He said, he rather stayed home and read, than played with friends. He was always seen at his Dad’s study reading the encyclopedia. He got mad when his dad donated those in one of the schools in his place.

*And Now*

Anyway, my husband and I are teaching our kids to love reading too. We do not mind buying books they like to read. Like I said, we treasure reading.

 

<-----This is what my daughter got from Booksale. My little one has Handy Manny coloring pages.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...